Monday, August 2, 2010

Apocalypse Now

WILLARD (v.o.)
"Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you
were going all the way. Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole
fucking program. How did that happen? What did he see here
that first tour? 38 fucking years old. If he joined the Green Berets,
there was no way you'd ever get above Colonel. Kurtz knew
what he was giving up. The more I read and began to
understand, the more I admired him. His family and
friends couldn't understand it, and they couldn't talk him
out of it. He had to apply three times and he had to put
up with a ton of shit, but when he threatened to resign,
they gave it to him. The next youngest guy in his class was
half his age. They must have thought he was some
far-out old man humping it over that course. I did it when
I was 19 and it damn near wasted me. A tough
motherfucker. He finished. He could have gone for General,
but he went for himself instead."

No comments:

Post a Comment